New Book: Text Data Management: A Practical Introduction to Information Retrieval and Text Mining,
by ChengXiang Zhai and Sean Massung, ACM and Morgan & Claypool Publishers, July 2016.
Teaching two MOOCs on Coursera (which use the book above as the main reference book) :
Research Interests: My general interests are in developing
all kinds of novel Intelligent Information Systems (e.g., intelligent search engines,
recommender systems, text analysis engines, and intelligent task assistants)
to help people manage and exploit large amounts of data (i.e., "big data"), especially text data.
I am particularly interested in building such intelligent systems for improving health, medical care, education, and accelerating scientific discovery, and bulding them based on theoretically sound frameworks, models, and algorithms that are also effective empirically. My current interests include Intelligent Information Retrieval, Text Data Mining, Applied Machine Learning, Optimization of Human-Computer Collaboration, Biomedical and Health Informatics, and Intelligent Educational Systems.
Honors and Awards
- 2004 Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE) ( Nominated by NSF based on NSF Career Award)
- 2008 Sloan Research Fellowship Award
- ACM Distinguished Scientist (2009)
- UIUC Rose Award for Teaching Excellence (2010)
- Best Paper Awards: (2014 ACM SIGIR Test of Time Paper Award,
ACM SIGIR 2004 Best Paper Award ,
ACM CIKM 2011 Best Student Paper Award, ACM KDD 2006 Best Student Paper Award Runner-Up , ACM KDD 2007 Best Student Paper Award Runner-Up , 2012 ACM KDD Workshop on Big Data Mining Best Paper Award)
- IBM Faculty Award (2009)
- HP Innovation Research Award (2011-2012)
- UIUC C. W. Gear Faculty Award (2007)
- UIUC Accenture Award for Excellence in Advising (2007); UIUC Engineering Council Outstanding Advisors (2013 & 2014).
UIUC List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by Their Students (
Fall 2002, Spring 2005,
Fall 2006, Spring 2009, Fall 2010, Fall 2011, Fall 2012, Fall 2014)
- Program Co-Chair: ACM SIGIR 2009,
NAACL HLT 2007,
ACM CIKM 2004
- Workshop Co-Chair: ACM SIGIR 08 Workshop on Learning to Rank for IR, ACM SIGIR 07 Workshop on Learning to Rank for IR
- Associate Editor/Editorial Board: ACM Transactions on Information Systems, Information Processing and Management,
- Area Chair/Coordinator/Senior PC: ACM SIGIR 2011, WWW 2011, AAAI 2011, KDD 2010, ACM SIGIR 2010,
ICML 2008, ACM SIGIR 2008,
ACM SIGIR 2006
HLT/EMNLP 2005, HLT/NAACL 2006
- Tutorial Chair: ACM SIGIR 2007